Summer is the best time to organize. Although it is also time for vacations, your business is still going on, right? If not, maybe it isn’t a business. More like a hobby.
You are half way through the year already and if your goals are not on track, there isn’t time to waste! There is time now for planning, reflecting and ACTION
It may go back to the idea of Spring Cleaning but I have always felt so energized to organize in the summer. The rest of the year always seemed so much busier with other things. I know that the longer days give me more time to get things done.
If you live where it gets hot in the summer, you can relate to my latest project.
My office faces south and is a 24′ wall of windows. A couple of weeks ago it was 105º for several days. Brutal. Plus the fact that I have a great view and couldn’t raise my blinds to appreciate it because of the heat and the glare. This has been a problem for years, but when I got a new desk recently, I changed the direction my desk faces.
The solution was to apply film to the windows to reduce the glare and the heat. It took my husband and I about 2 hours and my life is changed! It is so great to walk in and not squint and even better to see the hills! I can’t believe it took this long either. One of my excuses is that the products weren’t available that long ago. We can all come up with excuses!
The project that led to the windows task was purging and re-organizing my office, partly thanks to the inspiration of the new desk. My new desk is half the size of my old one! I love it. I purge my office every summer to weed out the paper and stuff that has accumulated. It still amazes me how much there is to purge every time!
There are at least 7 great reasons to get more organized NOW. Think about how each one is true for you.
- Because if you wait until September, you only have 4 months before the year is over. If you wait until September to start a project, the preparation could take a couple of weeks. Then you are almost into October.
- Because it will set you apart. If you use this time to set up more effective systems, you will be ahead of your competition. Do you need more business? Why wait?
- Because it will set you ahead. You will be moving your business and your life ahead rather than sitting still. That will differentiate your business.
- Because you have longer days now. Don’t you find yourself looking at the clock and realize that it is 7:00 when you thought it was only 5:00? Try setting a timer for an hour then start by organizing the top of your desk. Do that every day and you will have an organized office by the end of summer!
- Because you have more energy in summer. Enough said.
- Because you will feel so great it will give you momentum. For years people have told me how getting more organized makes them feel great and inspires them to organize more!
- Because it inspires you to step up your game. The feeling of being organized opens up the door to other projects and improvements to your business. Less clutter opens up the creative juices.
If your goals not on track, the actions you take now will create the momentum to reach them. Waiting until September will not bring you the joy that reaching your goals will.
Question for your Comments
What areas of your business would be easier if you were more organized?