Have you tried Mind Mapping? This method of designing the plan for a business, a project, an article or book, or activity is very powerful. It is for those who think a little, or a lot, out of the box! It is so much more than a list. I even bought special paper to use for mine.
You are doing your monthly planning now, right? Giving that concept a creative, fun way to develop adds another dimension!
There are several ways to MindMap. You know I like simple. So the way I do it is this:
- Use blank paper. Even use a flip chart or a poster board. It can’t be too visual!
- Start with the Key Idea, theme or project written in the center. Circle it.
Then for each part or category about that write them as spokes from the Key Idea. For instance, if you are designing a new website (like I am right now), the WEBSITE is the Key Project.
- Then around it are the categories such as Design, Copy, Home, Products, Blogs, About, Work with Me, Functions. There are both function things and each page. The next thing is circle those and create spokes off there for the details for each of those. Can you picture it?
- It is great if you put your own style to it. I have challenged myself to be more creative with mine. I challenge you to do the same. Use colors, pictures, visuals and whatever brings it more to life. Then post these where you see them while you are working on that project. You’ll get to use all those fabulous color pens you have.
- From the ideas you generate, you can make your Action Items list. These actions could also be the people you need to help or involve to make the Project complete. Post that list with the Mind Map.
- Now you transfer the Action Items onto your calendar as needed. Keep the MindMap posted so you can see it or in your Morning Ritual area so you read it daily.
Good luck with yours. Let these evolve over time and find your style!